The purpose of this group is to provide support, encouragement, affirmation, and information for diabetics who are also vegetarian and Seventh-day Adventist. You do not necessarily have to be a current or former Adventist to join, nor vegetarian (though you should know that Adventists do not eat pork or shellfish, among other flesh foods described in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14). And you do not necessarily have to be diabetic though you may have an interest in preventing diabetes or in helping a friend or family member with diabetes. Or you may consider yourself to be pre-diabetic, ex-diabetic, or a recovering diabetic.
FOR THOSE WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE MEMBERS:
The group is a Closed Group; only members can post and read others’ posts. When you submit a request to join this group (or if you are suggested by a current member), Facebook will send you a message asking you to answer three (3) questions:
1) Are you a diabetic, pre-diabetic, at risk for diabetes, or have a diabetic family member or friend?
2) Are you a vegetarian/vegan or Adventist non-vegetarian (eats only “clean” meat)?
3) Are you a current or former Seventh-day Adventist, or do you know that Adventists do not eat pork or shellfish?
If I don’t get a response from you within 48 hours, I will delete your request. I will also delete your request:
- If your Facebook profile is in a non-English language that we can’t read
- If you do not have any way for me to Private Message you
- If you have only been a Facebook member for a month and are already in 200+ groups
FOR NEW MEMBERS:
Check out the Files section for this group. Be sure to read the Pinned Post. Also, feel free to access our supplemental blog and resource, Adventist Vegetarian Diabetics, at https://adventistvegetariandiabetics.wordpress.com/.]
Welcome to new members! Please be sure to read the full Facebook Group Description located in our website blog at https://adventistvegetariandiabetics.wordpress.com/about/facebook-group-description/. And take time to view the 4-minute intro video at https://youtu.be/ac_Trw36qT4.
Please understand that Adventist Vegetarian Diabetics is a very diverse, inclusive group whose initial and primary purpose is to provide support, encouragement, affirmation, and information for diabetics who are also vegetarian and Seventh-day Adventist.
We are Type 1, Type 1.5, and Type 2 diabetics, pre-diabetics, recovering diabetics, caregivers of diabetics, and non-diabetics who are invested in preventing diabetes.
We are dietary vegans, lacto-ovo vegetarians, and Adventist non-vegetarians, including pescatarians. We are low-carb high-fat moderate-protein, high-carb low- or no-fat vegans, ADA compliant, and many variations in between.
We are current and former Seventh-day Adventists or not Adventists at all, but we understand that Adventist non-vegetarians eat only “clean meat” as described in Leviticus and Deuteronomy and that Adventists have a unique perspective on health as written about by 19th-century author Ellen G. White.
Please feel free to share as much (or as little) about your experience as you wish, and to ask questions, make comments, or share diabetic-friendly recipes that have worked for you.
Best wishes on your Adventist Vegetarian Diabetic journey!
FOR ALL APPROVED MEMBERS:
Essentially, we (the Admins) SUPPORT each and every one of you as a person–a diabetic, pre-diabetic, family member or caregiver of a diabetic, or just someone who is trying to avoid diabetes. We ENCOURAGE you to set your own goals in regard to *your* diabetes, and we want to help you in any way that we can to meet those goals! Please feel free to comment and ask questions.
Also, please feel free to share diabetic-friendly recipes. If not vegetarian, recipes should contain only “clean” meat, with clear suggestions for vegetarian/vegan substitutions, if possible.
Please feel free to share this Facebook group with anyone you know who you think might be interested. Any member may add a new member, but members have to be approved by an Admin.
SOME BASIC GUIDELINES:
- If you share a link to an article or another site, blog, or YouTube channel, please limit your sharing to specific articles or videos that have to do with healthful nutrition and lifestyle for a diabetic. Please do not share anything that has absolutely nothing to do with diabetes, other physical conditions related to or affected by diabetes, or cultural Adventism related to health.
- If you post something, please DO NOT DELETE YOUR POST! The reason for this is that someone may respond to your post with valuable information, not only for you but for others as well. And if you delete *your* post you are also deleting that valuable information!
- Any member who posts spam or attempts to sell products will have their post deleted and will be banned permanently from the group. If you see such a post, please do NOT “Like” it. Please “Report to Admin” immediately! (But do NOT report to Facebook as that could result in getting our group shut down.)
- FINALLY, if you are unhappy with the group for any reason, please just leave quietly or turn off notifications. Do NOT block an Admin as that action will get you banned permanently from the group.
The contents of this website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained here (the “Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The Content is not suitable for self-administration without regular monitoring by a qualified medical doctor in a supervised program. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in our Content.